Sunday, April 1, 2007

Observation on Constellation

Constellation by Alice Attie, is a series of letters all meshed together to make a quarter of the globe. When it is up close you can’t tell what it is at all, because it all looks like a bunch of shapes made of letters. Once it is seen from a distance, it’s clear: It is indeed a globe, showing some parts of Europe, North America and North Africa. The left half is more than likely supposed to be the universe, a dark, black mass that comes from putting letters really close together showing little spaces for breathing. It progresses down into the North American areas, Canada and some of the United States, and some of Greenland, which are put together much more lightly, showing that they are separated from the blackened mass. At the same time this also displays that this is not supposed to be white, like the water. The one clear thing is Italy; the boot shape is very distinct in this picture, even when it is seen at a close angle. It does seem like Europe is very close to North America, but maybe it was meant to see it like you are looking at the area where Italy is, so you see North America off to the side, making it look a little closer than it actually is.


1 comment:

Ronit said...

I had no idea what this picture was supposed to be of until I read your post, but I still don’t understand. It doesnt look anything like the shapes of the continents to me. I don’t see the Americas at all, even from a far away distance. Maybe I am just stupid, oh well.