Sunday, April 1, 2007

Analysis of Constellation


Like I mentioned in my last post, things like this piece take a lot of concentration, just because of the tedious nature that they invoke. Because this artist used letters, it makes me wonder how she decided which letters to put where, or if it was completely random in her choosing. The letters are so tiny, I imagine that it would be awfully time consuming, and the fact that the perspective is somewhat forced because it’s easier to tell what it is from far away makes me think so even more. I did like how where she wanted to show the blackness of the universe, she used masses of letters, and then when it came to the continents, it was less, and then islands became even less, and water became none. That showed amazing contrast, because this picture is solely black and white. Looking at this artist’s other works, she seems to favor black ink for everything and she also likes tiny things making a bigger picture. In another piece she used words instead of letters to create a spiral, but if you read the letters they don’t make much sense. Looking at both of the pictures from far away boggles my mind, because I would think to make that picture, the artist would have to see it from far away as well, but it doesn’t seem like they could do so. Unless perhaps they hung it up on the wall and went on the other side of the room, then perhaps they could do so.

(The image quality didn't save too well. If you click the above link you can see a very good smaller picture.)


1 comment:

Aaron Deng said...

Hey. You have a great writing in the essay. But I think you have missed a very import part is about the color. I have gone over your essay three time, but I still can’t find it. In your essay you just write about this a black and white picture. I think you can write about more detail about the color, because this is interesting and cool picture. You analyze this picture well. If you can follow my suggestion, I think this essay will be preface. Good luck!